"It is not after we practice zazen that we realize the truth; even before we practice zazen, realization is there."--Shunryu Suzuki
In English, the conditional tense is known as the if-then clause. As long as our zazen practice remains in the conditional tense--"If I practice well, then I will attain enlightenment"--we are sacrficing ourselves now for a future idea. We end up with nothing and we just continue in our difficulties.
In zazen, we break the karmic chain of the conditional tense. This is the true purpose of Zen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A Lazy Approach
If you work hard at being lazy, you are a hard worker.
-
Eric Hoffer is a great American not because he was an exceptional man, but because he was an ordinary man who was exceptional.
-
There is a certain kind of amnesia that lulls us into a false sense of security. This forgetfulness is not the result of a poor memory. Ra...
-
My interest in the evolution of man led me to study myself more closely. After all, I am an ordinary person. The laws that govern human natu...
No comments:
Post a Comment