Friday, December 16, 2011

Finding a True Teacher

The problem is that your chances of bumping into a true sage are small. You are more likely to run into a charlatan.

If I were to start over again, I would approach the Truth by choosing a teacher from a familiar tradition. I can recommend three whom, from my studies, I now know that I could trust to lead me back to myself.

From the Christian tradition, I would choose the great Trappist monk, Thomas Merton. I would metaphorically sit at his feet by reading and re-reading New Seeds of Contemplation until I mastered his Way. Then I could express my true being in my own way.

From the Buddhist tradition, I would choose Shunryu Suzuki to whom I am very much indebted. Although Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind is a spiritual classic, I have found that it was easier for me to master my teacher's way by reading Not Always So.

The reason is rather interesting. Both Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind and Not Always So are transcriptions of talks given by Suzuki. Both books were edited by one of his disciples. Trudy Dixon, who edited Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, is the more capable of the two. The lectures flow smoothly. The polish evident in the final work, however, seems to hide the true spirit of Suzuki. It is as if his personality was partially rubbed out.

The more rough-hewed editing of Not Always So unintentionally captures a fuller, more realistic, portrait of the great Zen Master. Both books have value.

But if your mind is inclined toward science and you are suspicious of organized religion, then I would recommend the Free-thinking tradition of Krishnamurti. Even the titles of his books such as The Awakening of Intelligence and Freedom from the Known hint at a new approach and a spiritual challenge.

Although I would choose one teacher to begin my study of THE WAY, I would not hesitate to read the others as well. I have found that a different point of view can invigorate my conviction that being is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Conquest of Nature

"An animal cannot be a contemplative." --Thomas Merton in New Seeds of Contemplation. We have conquered nature. Now we must conque...