Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Shame

The question of whether children are born with an innate moral compass is an interesting one.

Case in point: I took my 4-year-old grandson to the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey circus. I was aware of the controversy surrounding the treatment of circus animals. I assumed that conditions had improved--that those who directed the organization were not only sensitive to the criticism of animal rights activists, but were also motivated by business interests.

After all, it did not make sense to mistreat the animals who were among the stars of the show. I also vaguely answered concerns in my own mind with the plausible assertion that life in the wild is a ruthless affair. I thought of the poet Alfred Lord Tennyson's description of nature:

                                                   Who trusted God was love indeed
                                                   And love Creation's final law
                                                   Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
                                                   With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

In addition, I had seen several nature documentaries in which the struggle to survive was brought vividly home.


It was easy to believe that the taming of wild animals for our entertainment was a mutually beneficial arrangement.

While my grandson looked with curiosity at the clowns, trapeze artists, and strong men, the big cats were paraded into the ring. I felt somewhat uneasy when I saw that the lion tamer had his traditional whip in hand which he would occasionally flourish with a loud crack at a sluggish performer.

As the lions and tigers rolled over, jumped on pedestals, and lifted their paws in unison, my grandson sat in silence. It was only as the last animal departed from the stage, that he turned to me and ask, "Are they happy?"

It was then that I knew that I would never buy another circus ticket again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Question of Morals

Moral degeneration is a downhill slide. Moral regeneration is an uphill battle.